Saturday 26 April 2008

BB, Loser, Neighbours.

It's my birfday, yaaaay!


Big Brother: Something very weird happened the other day. After seeing the promo for the third housemate, Travis, I struggled to think of who his voice reminded me of. I finished work, went for a stroll down the Mall, made a beeline for the bookstores and the fancy men's stores that are overpriced and make me feel a bit inadequate. Then I saw a familiar woman wrangling her kids, and I heard her voice, and it hit me. Travis sounds exactly like the woman who taught my Economics class for three weeks in year twelve. And suddenly, in my microcosm of a world, there is a competitor for the world's most noxiously irritating voice. It'll probably be the case that he'll become beloved in the house in an ironic way (aw, Travis the jockey with the high voice!), but Travis is THAT offensive to my senses (sight and sound) that I'm not even going to give him the chance to be ironically likeable.

Oh, and he's a virgin. *Stifled laughter*.

The Biggest Loser: I always seem to get enthusiastic about Loser right at the very end. I just don't have the patience to follow the progress of each contestant or pretend to be excited about the million-and-one shock twists, and - I can't get around this point - without Bob and Gillian it just isn't the same.

Anyway, like clockwork I've gotten into this season, right at the end. My favourites this season are Alison and Sam. Alison I like because she's kind of pretty in the face, and I love the way she speaks. She strikes me as being really level-headed and universally likeable; she's soft and squidgy (both in appearance and personality) but she's also very strong and people respect her. I can't really describe it much better than that. I was just about in tears when Alison was reading aloud the letter her husband had sent to her. Awwww. Sam I like because he's not overly douche-ey like a lot of the other guys are. I think maybe it's because he's so young, but I've noticed that he hasn't really displayed that tedious alpha-male complex like so many other guys have in the past. That gets might-y boring.

Everybody Needs Good Neighbours: I watched Neighbours the other night, for the first time in several months. Actually, it's been years since I've watched it raptly week after week, but I do catch bits and pieces of it, and I know who most of the characters are. Mostly. But yeah, the Friday episode was so annoying. First, can we talk about Zeke? Zeke is such a tool. The actor who portrays said character is, if humanly possible, even tooly-er. When he delivers his lines you can just see him trying so, SO hard to get it right. When he's not speaking or doing anything, his reactions to the lines of others are always really over-acted and reminiscent of that bitch in your year eleven drama class who thought she was all that, only she wasn't.


But the thing that really sent me over the edge was Ringo and Bridget's (above) "relationship". Now, it's always been clear to me that Bridget is a lesbian. Nobody walks into a hairdresser's and asks for the Missy Higgins 'do without having a propensity for other ladies' 'gineys. And she's a bit of a dumbarse as well, in that vague way that I can't seem to articulate, but you know what I mean. I couldn't have been happier when Susan ran her over in her car. If I were the judge presiding over that case, I would have given Jackie Woodburne a medal, because in my mind, Jackie Woodburne and Susan are the same person. Actually, speaking of whom, I figured out that the voice over in the ads for some suicide hotline is none other than Jackie Woodburne, how's that for random trivia?!

Watching Friday's episode firmly cemented my belief that the writers clearly have no clue about their own characters. Ringo, I have decided, is such a latent poof. I'm not just saying that because I think he's hot and I subconsciously want his character to be gay because it'll bring me that one step further to having him on top of me, because I don't really think he's that hot anyway. He reminds me of Justin from Queer as Folk, that elfin-faced blonde faggot who I hate so much. I'd like to smash that kid. I mean, he just looks gay, which is often the best indicator, but he also wears heaps of tight singlets, is a gym junkie, is dating a lesbian [mutual covering-up of own homosexuality - Freud], and - to close the books entirely on this thorough-as-arse investigation - Ringo has an eating disorder. Mind you, if I ever had to go down on Bridget I would consider it an eating disorder, cue sitcom-esque laughter.

The big revelation to his friends and family about his eating disorder couldn't have been a more obvious allusion to his homosexuality, incidentally. It seemed like the kind of coming-out moment that only the Neighbours writers could manage to come up with, mixing the total obvious with a lame, cliched delivery. They even had a bit where all the shocked loved ones gathered around him to feign a supportive attitude. Why is this show so stupid?



Wow, it's a good thing I have a life and not writing lengthy screeds on Channel Ten's Friday night television line-up, yeah?

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your neighbours recap made me LOL out loud. I haven't seen the show in years, but just hearing about all those characters with their stupid names - Zeke and Ringo??? - was highly amusing.

P.S. I like Sam from biggest loser too. He's so sweet!

P.P.S. In Big Brother news, there's some (radio) interviews with more of the housemates here.

26 April 2008 at 8:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My girlfriend and i were saying the exact same thing the other night. "so, he wears faggy singlets, dates a lesbian and has an eating disorder?".

Okay.

Maybe i'm just jealous because i want to move in with Susan.

27 April 2008 at 11:51 am  
Blogger Jacob said...

Nick - it made you LOL out loud? So, it made you laugh out loud out loud? Ha, I kid, I kid. You're all right.

I know. Zeke? Ringo? BLECH. I think if the writers poured more creative energy into the script than they do the names of characters we might see something of an improvement in the quality of the show.

Cheers for the BB interviews. I hate all of them, especially the "pretty boy".

Anon - See, I knew someone had to agree with me.

Yeah, what's the deal with Susan and all the freeloaders in her house? It's like Seventh Heaven, if you remember that show.

27 April 2008 at 1:29 pm  
Blogger Jacob said...

I was going to include this in a post, but it became a bit unstructured, so I'll post it here instead.

Meanwhile, Nick linked to the 2DayFM site on the last post, where you can find several radio interviews of unidentified housemates.

The Hated Housemate: Reminds me of Michael from the 2006 series. You remember Michael? He was the douche who picked a fight with Gretel on the nomination show following his eviction, and Gretel totally and whompingly handed his arse to him on a plate. There was also a very tender moment between him and Gay David, which I blogged about then, and which I still find titillating.

The Busty Housemate: I have trouble understanding her argument about not showing her boobs because they are meant to be spectacular, or some shit. I think she's not too sure what she's talking about, either. Reminds me of Krystal, also of season six.

The Pretty Boy: Didn't sound all that attractive to me.

The Bogan Housemate: 'Inarticulate slag' would be a kind description. Reminds me of Michelle from last year.

The Blonde Housemate: Uuuhhhm, she like, oy my god, is going to do my head in with her poor command of the English language, the nervous giggle, the general unpleasantness that is exuding from my speakers right now as I'm listening to it. Ugh. Reminds me of season four's Ashalea, and 2007 winner Aleisha.

The Old Angry Housemate: Is... Terri, I think. They missed out 'confused' in her title.

The Weird Housemate: "Aahh, yeah, should be sweet." Vote to EVICT.

27 April 2008 at 1:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simpsons reference (Larry Burns/Rodney Dangerfield) in previous comment acknowledged, and appreciated.

And ZOMG there's an *awkward cough* "little person" in the BB house!

I hope she's not going to be all PC and lecture everyone on midget rights or whatever.

I hope she's one of those dirty dwarfs who do the sex tapes and everything.

28 April 2008 at 11:50 am  
Blogger Brocklesnitch said...

I love the tragic badness that was Seventh Heaven. My favourite episode was when Reverend Camden kind of died, and the whole episode was set in heaven. And weird angels gave him presents, and then sent him back to earth. Oh, and all the black people in heaven were doing menial jobs like driving the horse carts. The horse carts in heaven.

I should have stopped watching after Jessica Biel left.

28 April 2008 at 11:53 am  
Blogger MissE said...

Bec - did you ever see the SevHev series finale (the real one, wiht the RV, not the fake one with the Non-wedding and the three pregnancies all with twins that they did the first time it was cancelled - although that was *good* too)? Channel ten screened it at midday over the Christmas hols. It was possibly the wrongest hour of television ever, and if you haven't, you MUST.

Although it might not be as freaking hilarious if you don't watch the last couple of season (erm. Not that I did or anything... Really).

Look, I was unemployed, ok?

28 April 2008 at 7:16 pm  
Blogger Jacob said...

Yay, I love when comment threads go in strange places.

Seventh Heaven annoyed me tonnes, and like Chesty said, it was the wrongest hour of television ever. Jessica Biel was the best one though, and that guy who I think had hodgkin's disease (or am I thinking of someone else?).

But the WORST was that stupid blonde kid, with the dark eyebrows. Dude, seriously, I sympathise that you used to be blonde and then you grew out of it and became another dark-haired person (believe me, I've been there), but if you're going to get the hair done, don't neglect the eyebrows. GOD.

Nick - oh good, I was thinking that the Larry Burns reference might perhaps have gone to the keeper.*

A little person, I know! Her husband was mega tall, too. There are so many fellatio jokes running around my head right now, I need to sit down.

Bwah! "Midget rights". And the sex tape comment is seconded.

Chesty - your comment about being unemployed took me back to roughly this time last year, when Channel Seven used to show Trading Spouses in the afternoon. I WANT THAT BACK! That was an awesome show.

* yay, cricket analogies.

28 April 2008 at 11:23 pm  
Blogger Brocklesnitch said...

I don't remember seeing the real finale, as i was actually doing things outside of the house by that time. However, the worst time was when Ruthie started 'becoming a woman' and made out a lot with that Bones guy.

I can't even express the extent of my disgust.

1 May 2008 at 9:00 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home