Saturday 24 May 2008

SESA Mailbag #237

Dear Channel Ten,

Back in August of last year, you impressed us all with the news that you would be 'fast-tracking' House - meaning that you would be showing it 'fresh off the satellite' a bit under a week after it screened in the US, instead of what you usually do, which is holding shows that start in the US in September for the start of our ratings year, the following February.

You were doing this for us, you said. We knew you were in fact doing this to try to slow the spread of downlaoding biting into your ratings, but still, we were appreciative. Better than nothing, right?

And then the writers went on strike, and House (and Life, and Journeyman, and Supernatural, and all the other shows you were 'fast-tracking') close up production and you were left with the opening of a ratings season with no new episodes of anything (except, oddly, for two episodes of Life you never screened, for some reason that no-one understands). And it sucked for you.

But here's the bit you may not have heard: the writers strike is over. It ended MONTHS ago. David Shore and the House team went back into the studio and produced four of their best episodes yet to wrap up the season.

The second part of the two-part season finale aired in the US a week ago. It was awesome and involving and sad and gripping and filled with OMFGoodness in spades.

To date, you have aired one new episode. After running a brief but intense 'House is Back!' campaign, you aired one new episode, before resuming the steady diet of repeats we've been fed for months now.

So, what happened to the fast-tracking?

I mean, it doesn't matter to me - I've seen everything you're not showing me now, and even if you decided to get your arse into gear, I still wouldn't bother watching. And I dare say I'm not the only one who's given up on your shit to get their TV when they want it.

(You could pass that last bit onto messers Nine and Seven, who have the rights to Pushing Daisies, Gossip Girl and Chuck, but see no reason to air them ...)

It's a bit of a shame for all of you, really. I'm a good little consumer and in your target demographic, but I am no longer buying what you are selling. And I love television of all kinds, and will happily spread the word, both to my real life friends and all over the interweb - if I see something worth watching.

The thing is this: I have no wish to be a downloader. There is a little part of me that would rather not do it. Unfortunately, I am also a citizen of cyberworld, and as such, I'm somewhat compelled. The watercooler that I gather around to discuss my favourite TV shows is no longer in the corner of my office - it's in my computer and all over the world. And sadly, it just doesn't cut it out here if you're six months behind - nor will the fans in the US and UK think not to discuss the surprise death in the season finale all over the internet just because some suckers in Australia haven't seen it yet and don't wish to be spoiled.

And to that, you could tell me that I could just stay away from the various websites that are most likely to spoil me, and hold off on my discussion, or limit it to the lameness that is The Tribal Mind. But that's not really likely to help when YOU are just as likely to spoil me as anyone else. Remember when Marissa Cooper died? Remember those weeks of promos you ran advising me to watch the lead-up to the season finale in which Marissa Cooper will die!!!

Because that was meant to be a SURPRISE. We weren't meant to know about it until it happened. If you'd fast-tracked the show a) you wouldn't have been able to run weeks of promos spoiling us all and b) we might have had a chance to actually be shocked.

So, no, I can't just stay off the internet for the months between when they air it and when you air it. I have to stay off the network instead.

Or I could just download it. And sure, I might feel a little bad about it, but it's better than the alternative. And once I start downloading it, what do you think the chances are that I'll ever stop and come back to you? Seriously.

No longer yours,

Chesty LaRue

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you here Chesty. Especially about the downloading. I download lots of shows, but I really wish that I didn't have to.

There's something - dare I say it? - romantic about watching it on the box. Even with the ads.

It's a bit like how you'll watch a movie that's on TV even though its sitting on the shelf next to you as a DVD - with better quality picture, a pause function, and no commercials.

We still love our good old-fashioned TV and want our networks to make us happy and treat us with a little bit of friggin' respect!

But they continue to eff us around. I've almost given up on them entirely.

24 May 2008 at 9:51 pm  
Blogger gigglewick said...

Nicholas,

I myself am amazed at how often I watch a movie on television that is sitting RIGHT THERE ON MY DVD SHELF.

It's embarrassing really.

Chesty,

I long to be on the dark side with you....but fear that my computer lacks the power. Lo! And I was so unhappy I went trawling through bargain bins for the final series of The West Wing....

25 May 2008 at 10:08 pm  
Blogger Jacob said...

Nick - YES! I have discovered a variation on that phenomenon when I listen to the radio. I enjoy songs so much more on radio than on my mp3 player or on CD or whatever. It's something about the surprise of having a favourite tune rather than just plugging in a device and listening to it, or something.

27 May 2008 at 8:55 pm  
Blogger Andy said...

Heh. My wife tears her hair out at that. Her greatest bugbear is when she goes out and buys me a movie on DVD, and it'll sit on the shelf unwatched for weeks.

But should the same movie happen to be on TV, I'll move heaven and earth to make sure I'm in front of the box to watch it. Good times.

28 May 2008 at 5:23 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home