Thursday 1 November 2007

So You Think You Can Contain Your Excitement?

Group Dance....

Wha-huh? Who stole the group dance??? Instead we get to sneak a peek at some unaired auditions, and apparently this is a very special treat... I hate to doubt you Cat, I really do, but I think you'll find this is "filler". I do admire your acting skillz though - you managed to introduce that with a straight face... Especially seeing as this isn't unaired stuff at all, as we saw E-Knock and the chick with the hip problems the first time around. Although to be fair, there may have been an new auditionee or two in the montages. Oh. It was only NY that had the previously-aired unaired auditions, coz we see some new talent at LA - I was particularly impressed with the rocket scientist with massive guns. I could have seen more of him first time around guys - No Fair!
The freaky Anna-Nicole stalker and 'geneticist' Colin though? I could have missed that one. Apparently A-N still talks to him and told him to audition... in fact I believe A-N was talking to him as he danced to his own special beat, on his own special planet. But at least he was polite. I do like that in a delusional raver. Sorry, "geneticist".
I was also intrigued by the 18 year old who felt she needed to grow up after leaving high school... so did so by going to Miami to dance on the cruise ships...? I mean a four month long Schoolies week? How she even had the energy to audition is beyond me. Mind you, her audition did consist mostly of writhing on the floor, so I guess she learnt something at her floating finishing school.
read the rest

Nigel cracks a funny in Atlanta, quipping that some guy who did a 'unique' routine that seemed to involve pretty much just finger-clicking, asking whether Krumping + Tapping = Krapping? Hee! I'll totally pay that!
And then some random guy in a sparkley shirt and a cowboy hat... What is that? Silent tapping? With pirouettes? I don't get it...

Luckily it's now time for the dancing, so no need to frustrate/confuse actonb anymore... phew!

Group dance is Swamp Creatures!!!! Woohoo!
6 little swamp monkeys caught in a net wearing the butt-ugliest make-up and costumes ever. The boys look like Mr Tumnus! Mr Tumnus who hasn't been to the pet-grooming parlour for a while.. They're down and dirty and I just love it!

Our top 6 dancers bounce their ways on to the stage and aren't they just the cutest? Although Neil looks like he's just dashed back from auditioning for Rolf in The Sound of Music, all side-parted sweetness...

...and excuse me, but wtf is Cat wearing??? It looks like a Jenny Kee creation, a nightmare of sparkly blue feralness. But it's better than Mary's 1980's power-sheath complete with glomesh accents.

First up Pasha is dancing with Lacey, doing some hip hop. Oooh. It's Mannequin put to music! This excites me muchly... Lacey whinges that's it's really difficult to play a mannequin - honey, it's only hard when you're as addicted to hamming it up as you are... Pasha's hip hop is so cute, so bouncey, although - ewww, was he Surprise Butt-secksing her???? I never saw that bit with Andrew McCarthy and Kim Cattrall... But it lives up to my 1980s nostalgic excitement, and when Mary giggles at Pasha, across the land countless women join her...

Sabra does solo - she's so gorgeous and the routine is mesmerising. I never get bored of Sabra.

Danny and Lauren are attempting a contemp from MiaM for starters. And this time it'll be an 'experiment' with movements more like an alien, not 'natural', not human... and this is different to every other MiaM routine, how exactly? Someone in production has a sense of humour coz they're dancing to Celine Dion! Lauren's wearing Anya's sexy black dress, and she's stolen Lacey's running jump across the stage, but overall it was well funky and totally awesome. I'm a little confused as to where the 'alien' comes in. It kinda looked like any other contemp dance to me, although, y'know, a good contemp dance... I am such a philistine. Also, the running around the studio? What was the point of that? But props to the camera-man. woo!
Debbie Allen, guest judge reckons it was Passion and Perfection Personified... hee, I am such a fan of alliteration.

Pasha's solo. He dances to Total Eclipse of the Heart, dancing with a real mannequin this time... and a million power knitters swoon on cue.

Neil's partnered with Sabra for a jazz routine, based on an 80s Power Lunch. Yeah, I know, these choreographers, they're bonkers, yes?
Anyway, they dance to The Eurythmics 'Sweet Dreams' and suddenly the side part makes sense, as they're both in business wear. The dance is great - dancing around, over, under the table, with a fantastic move where Neil holds himself over Sabra as she lays back - a gymnastic move known as the 'plange' apparently (and yes, *snort*, *giggle*, coz I'm 12). I had never been a fan of Neil until this - he finally exploded into my consciousness. The judges also seem to have suddenly been slapped into noticing him!

Lauren's solo - I feel like I've seen this a thousand times - Sabra's always seem to be so much fresher. And huh? Is she wearing a nightie? Hmmm...

Lacey and Pasha are back with their Smooth Waltz and it's supposedly the most difficult thing Lacey's done. Now, haven't we heard this a million times already this season?
It's really very very beautiful, and I'm sure it's technically brilliant, just a little... dare I say it? boring?
The judges are all 'fabulous! amazing! perfect!' although Nigel did have a problem with Lacey's limp wrist... teeheehee.

Neil's solo does precisely the same for me as Lauren's did - I think I've seen his solo too many times - although the backwards pike somersault was cool.

Danny and Lauren get slapped down by ? for not taking it seriously...'Disco's no joke!'
Although TPTB have decided that tonight's show is all about appealing to actonb's deeply hidden 80s tragic side as they're dancing to Don't leave me this way - by The Communards... The routine is lots of fun and the costumes are so funky and Danny seems to be actually enjoying himself for once.
I do have a question though - why is Debbie feeling the need to pimp this show at every opportunity during the bloody show... I mean we're watching it already woman!

Lacey's solo and I quite enjoyed it. Yes, I'm surprised to admit it myself, even though it's typical Lacey which means lots of booty-shaking, just where the cameras seem to be... oops!

Sabra and Neil are attempting the Pasa Doble next and learn that it's all about male attitude - and attitude's all Neil has, according to Sabra (as well as being an amazing dancer, girlfriend has a gift for snark!)
Neil looks like Adam Ant doing flamenco. And Sabra's wearing a slightly sexier version of my Year 10 formal dress... They rock, it's so very macho, so much 'tude and testosterone that Sabra can only flap her skirt in response. And it finishes with Sabra being held aloft then dropped down over Neil's shoulders, holding her ankles like a great big Sabra-shaped Hula Hoop as she hits the floor and is then dragged across the stage floor...
Nigel stunned. Although he does go one further and describe Sabra as a big donut...? Mary responds to that with some more techobabble and gives Neil his first ticket on the hot tamale train, with a special shriek just for him, lucky boy. Debbie reckons the show is just awesome. Again.

Danny's solo is even better than usual because he's actually smiling for once, but sadly performs not even a teensy pirouette? hmmm...

Results show:

We get a little update on Cedric, and then are treated to a performance of Titus and the Africa Dance Ensemble. It's all African drums and dancing in Hammer Pants and was good and all, but I dunno, I've kinda been conditioned to expect random leaping from my male dancers now...

Everyone does a solo again and it's all very interesting, especially Lauren's leopard skin leggings...

Cat quips that it must be wash day when confronted with a shirtless Pasha - and then is strangely reluctant to put her arm around him. Weird woman. But it really must be laundry day, as Neil is wearing the same outfit as yesterday and Danny had to steal a shirt and tie from a random school kid.

Aw bless - sytycd gives back to the community - through dance. The choreographers have gone deep in South Central LA to teach the teachers of after-school programs some of their routines. So they can go back and enthuse and inspire the kids - So remember kids! - don't join a gang, join a dance studio! work out your frustrations though dance... (yes, Nigel really does say that)

Back to the studio were we have an exhibition of krumping - by Lil C and the Naff(?) squad. And to my untutored eye krumping seems to be about waving your arms about, pulling your pants up and looking mildly perplexed...
/channeling my mother


After interminable recapping of everything we've already seen on the show today, Lacey is through to the Finarle. Followed after an absolute age by Danny.

And then... drama! controversy! The show isn't actually being broadcast live on the Monday - it was recorded on the Thursday, after the performance. Because the dancers need more than 2 days to prepare for the Finarle Extravaganza. So the studio has to go into Lock Down, and the whole audience are sent home. Cue lots of cranky pants fangirls...
So Cat is left standing on the stage with all the seats in darkness and only 'essential crew' remaining... her voice is echoing around the studio as she announces that Sabra is going through to the finale and Lauren is going home.

And then Neil gets through, and it's Pasha that has to go home. Nigel fawns all over him, calling him a charming and thorough gentleman. Mary is crying as she declares Pasha an amazing ambassador for ballroom. And he was. And he is. Poor Pasha. He rocked.

Final next week.... Excitement!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger MissE said...

Reality TV hates Chesty, obvs - because until last night I *didn't* have any favourites and I didn't care who went (although I was hoping Neil).

But last night Lacey started to bug just a little bit, and I kinda feel like Sabra has been told once too often she's the favourite/best/amazingest and I started to think Lauren was just the coolest.

Plus Pasha doing the hiphop was totally the cutest thing ever, and even though he's totally King Dork, I have a weensy little crush.

And so of course they got booted.

I may admit that I even shed a little tear at the end. Just a weeeeee little one.

Oh, and I didn't think much of the Pasa Doble. Except for the donut thing at the end, it was a bit dull after everything that had come before.

Now, I'm going to apply this curse I have for RTV to Idol ...

Go Marty!!!! I Love you!!!

2 November 2007 at 7:53 am  
Blogger killerrabbit said...

Why Lauren? She was one of my favourites as she didn't shake her ass in the camera like stupid Lacey does. Also that gold lame bikini top was hideous!

2 November 2007 at 10:07 am  
Blogger meva said...

I was devastated (Yes! Devastated! I HAVE NO LIFE!) when Hok left and I transferred all my girlie, crushy adoration to Pasha. So I think it's my curse of the crush, Chesty, not yours. But try as I may, I cannot be crushing on Marty. Can't be done.

2 November 2007 at 1:59 pm  
Blogger MissE said...

I totally blame Jamie for Hok leaving when he did. If he had been paired with a *popular* girl he would never have been in the bototm three and had to DFHL for the judges.

I would have been happy with a Sabra-Lauren-Danny-Pasha finale. And now I just don't care.

I'm going to go and swoon for Marty some more ... It might just work!

2 November 2007 at 6:33 pm  
Blogger meva said...

Oh, Chesty! You're my heroine! Taking one for the team like that!

I'm still inconsolable. PASHA! Perhaps he'll come to Melbourne, and we'll pass in the street and he'll be bewitched by my innate grace and beauty. YES! That's obviously what's going to happen! OBVIOUSLY!

2 November 2007 at 9:50 pm  
Blogger meva said...

Btw...


DFHL...


*giggles*

2 November 2007 at 9:52 pm  
Blogger actonb said...

Na-uh meva - Pasha will obvs come to WOLLONGONG first, and then our eyes will meet etc etc... He's mine,all mine!!!!

I'm a such a fickle thing...

3 November 2007 at 6:23 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home