Monday 15 October 2007

Australian Idol: The Year Their Mums Shat Them Out

Highlights from tonight's Australian Idol:

- Marcia slamming the desk and shouting an expletive
- Tarisai wasn't actually born in 1999
- Baby photos are no indication of how good looking a person will turn out to be
- Marty Simpson's voice "one of the best we've ever had on Idol"

And that's about it. Seriously, when did Idol get so boring? For the first time in a while I just didn't care for any of the performances.

Ben made the mistake of forgetting which genre was worst for him - rock - and went ahead and tried to do rock. Carl is a good looking guy, and you get the impression from the judge's comments that he's a nice person back stage, but the boring suit and predictable song choice is wearing mightily thin.

Natalie sang Endless Love, a song that makes me think of Happy Gilmore. Tarisai is nice and all, but you can't help but feel that she'd be a massive bitch in real life. When the judges try to joke with her it feels just uncomfortable for everyone involved.

Marty Simpson is Marty Simpson, and that's all I can say about that.

Matt Corby, who was described hilariously as the Kevin Rudd of Australian Idol, appeared just as usual, like he didn't care to properly dress and groom himself. But tonight was the first time it really bothered me. Like, I get that you're hobo chic and everything, but the illusion is ruined somewhat by the fact that your hair is always hobo-ified exactly the same every week. Comes off a tad forced, yeah?

Daniel Mifsud took all of the judges' aspersions against arranging a song to within an inch of its life and did EXACTLY THAT. He sped Billie Jean up to a reasonable beat, I must concede, but it's a great song to rouse the audience from their collective coma and he just didn't deliver.

So... all in all not a great set of performances tonight. The worst part, I think, was hearing at least half the Idols whingeing about how the year they were born in gave them virtually no songs to work with. I get that 1990 might yield little choice (Hammer Time, anyone?) but, like, can you shut up please? Thanks.

The only thing I feel good about after tonight is that I'm fairly sure that Marty Simpson will be leaving the competition. Other than that, the Year The Idols Were Born was a pretty crap night.

What did y'all think? Am I way off the mark, or was tonight a bit of a dud?

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger MissE said...

No, I'm with you. They were all average.

Ben was average, but Marcia was funny.

Marty was shite, and they all praised him, which bugged the hell out of me but I hope means no sympathy vote this week.

Natalie sounded really off. Twas wierd.

Carl was background music but - surprisingly - one of the better ones.

Tarasai was her usual self - meaning she boomed it out and I wanted to reach through the TV and punch her. Hard.

Matt was shite. Phil Collins? Really? And why didn't he get told off for picking a save-the-world song like Ben did?

Daniel was ... yeah. He does that thing with his non-microphone hand. It only used to bug me a little bit but now it bugs me so much I wish he would go away.

One of the judges told Daniel he was one of the most popular idols, which made me laugh because he's usually bottom three these days, yeah?

This show sucks.

15 October 2007 at 6:24 am  
Blogger MissE said...

Oh, and I wanted to slap Matt when he was going on about no good music being made in the 90's. ALL the best music was made in the 90's. Sadly - not in 1990. 1990 does not equal the 90's, fool.

15 October 2007 at 6:30 am  
Blogger gigglewick said...

I can't believe that some one would think that a Phil Collins song that came out in 1990 was indicative of 1990.

the youth of today, etc.

15 October 2007 at 10:56 am  
Blogger meva said...

Oh, but it was dull! The worst Idol show I've seen. At least disco night was funny/bad. This was just boring/bad.

And I want to strangle Holden soooooo much.

15 October 2007 at 3:46 pm  
Blogger MissE said...

Wow.

Australia, you're dead to me.

I echo your sentimony from the other week: WHO IS VOTING FOR MARTY???

15 October 2007 at 8:38 pm  
Blogger gigglewick said...

not me.

But then, I'm not voting for anyone.

15 October 2007 at 8:47 pm  
Blogger Mars said...

matt corby FTW... surely?

i thought it was gonna be matt, ben and natalie in the final three. OBVIOUSLY I WAS WRONG.

matry = sucks with annoying voice
carl = sucks with bad name and not really that good a singer
tarasai = sucks for all the whispered thankyous she does
daniel = sucks for the non-microphone hand thing and the hair
natalie = ok but gernaerlly sucks an is destined to become a young 'diva'
ben = ok but still a bit sucks
matt = ok but sucks cause of the (aforementioned) hair issues.

so all in all... sucks is the verdict. but as if i'm gonna stop watching...

15 October 2007 at 9:10 pm  
Blogger Jacob said...

Chesty - as usual you're pretty much spot on. That Daniel Mifsud hand thing annoys me too!

I'm too depressed to comment anymore tonight.

Hrumph.

15 October 2007 at 9:58 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home