Sunday 28 October 2007

Oy, this god awful show made me slip a disc

BIG BROTHER:

Y'all probably already heard that Gretel Killeen has quit/been sacked from her role as host of Big Brother, and been replaced with Kyle Sandilands and Jackie O. My impression of this is that Ten have gotten it right with need to make changes, I'm just not sure whether this is quite the change that will bring the show back from the abyss that was BB07 (and, come to think of it, BB05 and 06). Changes that needed to be made were:

read the rest


1) Chose better housemates. This has been a trend that has gotten way out of hand. As a viewer, I really don't find it remotely entertaining watching the same bunch of bland miscreants and bogans enunciating poorly on television every year. Housemates with giant fake boobs does not make for watchable television. The same can be said for all the lame 'twists' that fall on their arse the second they are effected.

2) Bring back Uncut. The idea that Channel Ten had any responsibility to the Australian public to pull that show in the first place is laughable. Whatever criticism you might have of the crudeness and questionable material that the housemates get up to, ultimately what the housemates do on a television show ought to be fair game, and people who don't like it can exercise their tiny minds by making the decision not to watch. It's as simple as that. Any suggestion that we're safer or a more moral society because a television show is taken off air is nothing but bullshit, and I'm sick of the stupid nonsense that gets peddled every year by politicians and "pro family" (ie. Pro-Telling Others What To Do) groups telling me otherwise.

The show is DULL without Uncut, and I think last year suffered enormously because of its absence.

Anyway. I hate to judge Gretel's replacements without giving them a chance, but I have a fairly good idea already of how it will turn out. Kyle will attempt to ask the hard questions, while totally lacking the intelligence and sharp wit that Gretel Killeen had, and Jackie O will do all our heads in with her vapidness and stilted on screen manner.

IDOL:

Wow, what a shit night of Idol. Matt Corby apparently got the nerves and couldn't play the piano properly. I don't know what's wrong with that boy; the piano sounded fine, he sounded fine, he looked as messy as ever but at least someone kept him away from the lego-themed dresses.

Imagine my surprise when, half way through Natalie Gauci's performance, I looked up from my dinner to see her standing on the piano which she had hitherto been playing. It was like Andy from Little Britain, how he just randomly turns up in weird places, like the top of a diving board or in a tree:

"How did you get up there?"

"I fell."

I like Natalie, but I wasn't as down with that performance as the judges. It just didn't deserve a Touchdown, no matter how inexpressibly stupid the Touchdown has become (what am I talking about? It's always been stupid).

Marty sucked.

Wow, when did the judges get so pissed with Tarisai for being fake? For those who missed it, she had a near meltdown on stage when confronted with accusations of not being herself. I quite agree with the judges, and what Dicko said about her saying 'thank you' in that breathy voice and not actually listening to their criticism, but it felt a bit like a cruelly staged intervention of some kind.

Carl... well, let's put it this way: the less said about Carl the better. Whatever kudos he earned from me last week was lost this week. Back to his boring self.

I was under the impression that the Idols were performing two songs again tonight, but since the ARIAS were on, they had to cut it down a bit. Which leads quite nicely into the third part of this post...

ARIAS:

How utterly pointless. Australia, first of all, doesn't churn out that many decent musicians each year to warrant such an overblown evening. If the Grammies are like the Oscars for music, then the ARIAS are the equivalent of the plays that four year old kids put on for their parents using dolls and teddies in the living room. It's just an excuse for the Idols to gush over all the "celebrities" and exclaim how they NEVER thought they'd make it THIS FAR and how EXCELLENT it is that they're attending such a prestigious event!

Notes on the ARIAS:

I'm pretty disappointed that there won't any Missy Higgins/David Hasselhoff love-ins again tonight.

No red frilly dresses either. Jeez, Missy, way to let the team down.

Daniel Johns sounded so bad tonight. Oh boy, it was a performance to rival Steph Macintosh's disastrous Footy Show appearance.

Rove really isn't a very good presenter, is he? No he is not.

Ooh! Nicole Kidman is at the ARIAS tonight with her lame husband who no one cares about. Hey, do you reckon she'll let him put his ARIA on the same mantle as her Oscar? [Snigger].

I wonder where Axel Whitehead is, and if his penis is feeling left out?

SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE:

I am so looking forward to this show. I'm watching the American version and loving it. I do wonder whether we have quite the same pool of talent as the US, but we shall see. It certainly can do no worse than Dancing With The Stars, which is just so horrible I cannot fathom why anybody actually continues to watch it. Why do people want to see Z-grade celebrities dancing merely competently when you can see the likes of Neil Haskell going insane every week on the dance floor?

Natalie Bassingthwaighte seems like a good appointment to the position of host, methinks. Surprising, really, given that she'll probably use it in the near future to publicise her shitty brand of "electro-rock."

Labels: , , ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

considering Keith Urban has about 40 of his own awards, a new mantle may need to be built.

28 October 2007 at 11:39 pm  
Blogger MissE said...

Wow! So much to comment on!

Big Brother - ok. I heard Gretel was gone, but is this Vyle and Skanky Ho thing a lock? Because ... I don't know that I can cope with that. I really don't.

Idol - I thought Natalie did really well. And the rest of them were meh. And I - yeah, I'm going straight to hell - I loved the Tarasai smackdown. I'd have felt sorry for her if I didn't agree totally with Mark and Dicko.

Arias - Meh. Boring.

SYTSCD (AUST) - I'm worried.

29 October 2007 at 6:43 am  
Blogger Jacob said...

Anon- Is that you, Keith?

Chesty - Vyle and Skanky Ho! Too true. I think - sigh - it IS indeed a lock. Such a pity, I know, but is there any other alternatives?

Yeah, Natalie did okay, but it just wasn't that exciting to me. The Tarisai smackdown was definitely the highlight of the evening. Dicko's comment about how she looks like an angry Bratz doll was stunning in its accuracy.

Will Actonb be doing recaps of the Australian SYTYCD? I don't think I have the strength, plus I think people might be getting sick of reading my shit on here all the time.

29 October 2007 at 10:44 am  
Blogger Tassiegal said...

So where is the SYTYCD wrap ups for the last two weeks?

29 October 2007 at 11:09 am  
Blogger meva said...

Sick of reading Jacob's shit? NEVER!! There's just not enough of it, really.

I thought Natalie was great last night. And I think everyone enjoyed watching Tarisai getting told good. Any bets on who's going tonight? Although, I still think Marty should be the one to go before anyone else. I can never understand a word of the songs he *ahem* 'sings'.

29 October 2007 at 11:47 am  
Blogger gigglewick said...

Jacob,

I don't know if you've mentioned it before, but I happened to catch the end of both Marty and Carl's performances and have the following questions for the squarses:

1. Am I the only person who took more than four lines of 'These Days' to figure out what the hell it was that Marty was singing? For a minute I thought it might have been 'Message to my Girl' (which I'm reliably informed has already been massacred by another contestant).

2. Am I the only person who finds that little hand shake Carl does COMPLETELY INFURIATING?

3. 'Reminiscing'? Seriously?

4. And was that SILVERCHAIR????

And re BB

1. "get rid of her and I will watch"...not with those wheel chocks in charge I won't.

2. Don't expect the contestants to improve with those two as hosts.

29 October 2007 at 2:40 pm  
Blogger SillyYak said...

I have to say I loved the Aria's. Australian music does not get anywhere near the credit it deserves. I agree that decent musicians are not churned out of competitions like Idol, but a visit to some real gigs will show that there is a magnitude of talented Aussies creating awesome music. Over the past few years it’s been fantastic that the Arias have exposed & awarded a large number of Independent Australian Musicians & less focus placed on the commercial cereal packet ‘musicians’ that get pumped through the radio. Daniel Johns was right last night when he said 'Aussie Music is kicking it biatch'.

29 October 2007 at 2:52 pm  
Blogger actonb said...

AB will happily recap the aust version of sytycd.

AB is sorry that she's been so damn slack lately, but life has been a bit... hectic.

AB is worried that she's going to have to bring in a note from her mummy.

AB is cranky that she missed Matt, but managed to watch everyone else last night. And they were blahness personified. No self-especting rawk chick needs STEPS to get on the damn piano.

29 October 2007 at 3:25 pm  
Blogger Jacob said...

Meva - flattery! Or was it sarcasm? Whichever - I'll take what I can get.

My tip is Tarisai, depending on whether she gains enough sympathy votes. If, however, the majority of people believe as I do that she IS in fact fake, then I doubt it will save her this time.

But, as always, I've got fingers, toes, legs and other appendages crossed that Marty will be gone. It's become a matter of principle, for me. There just is no way Marty can make it into the top 4. NOT HAPPENING.

Gigglewick - I KNOW! He was so incomprehensible. I can't believe Mark actually praised his "phrasing." It was too slow and he can't sing and it was horrible.

Carl's hand thing is annoying, I agree. Daniel Mifsud did the same thing as well. Should they do an Anthony Callea and hold the mic with two hands instead?

eec - please. Australian music is "kicking it beeyatch" ONLY if you're saying it literally. The best male artist this year was Gotye. GOTYE? I'm not a music expert, but I cannot think of a single song of his.

Also shit: Sneaky Sound System, that band with that Ping Pong Song, and the John Butler Trio. The latter's earlier work was decent, but their latest offering sounds more country than blues and roots, or whatever shit category they won.

Actonb - no pressure! I's just asking. I look forward to the snarking :)

29 October 2007 at 4:31 pm  
Blogger MissE said...

Also shit: Sneaky Sound System, that band with that Ping Pong Song, and the John Butler Trio. The latter's earlier work was decent, but their latest offering sounds more country than blues and roots, or whatever shit category they won.

Big fat word.

And I love reading your shit on here. Better than reading my shit.

And I think we should all lay off AB on the SYTYCD recaps ... no-one gets paid to be here and we all have jobs and lives.

FINALLY - IS anyone else watching this? BWAH!!!!!!

29 October 2007 at 7:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think something really strange has happened on reality shows where the judges or hosts DO seem to think it is all about them.

Gretel, Mark Holden, Tyra Banks are back year after year while the forgettable contestants fade away in our minds.

But it gets old real fast!

The idea of replacing Gretel with new hosts was a good one, she WAS bored of it and DIDN’T handle the Merlin/Michaels of this world well. BUT replacing her with two reality hosts with known MOs is boring.

30 October 2007 at 8:34 am  
Blogger Jacob said...

That depends on what you mean by 'well.' I think she did a great job under pressure in all of those situations. She didn't disguise her true feelings, she didn't let people off the hook when they needed to be put back in their place, she defended the Big Brother franchise and the network against a lot of criticism, and she did it all with a modicum of dignity.

I'm sad to see Gretel go, no matter how cranky she was getting with the contestants over the last few years.

30 October 2007 at 7:51 pm  
Blogger MissE said...

I think Gretel did a lot of stuff really well, but the last couple of years she's lost a lot of respect (from me at least). For several reasons:

1. The favouritism. Sure, the producers are always going to edit things to make a story, and it's always going to favour one party over another. Gretel used to be great at treating everyone equally ... until this year, when she fawned over Bodie and showed utter contempt for Jamie and TJ (among others).

2. The rudeness she displayed onstage whenever things went wrong. I know it's hard to keep composure when your comms fail but being bitchy and sarcastic to the crew is not cool.

3. She went from being a strong, opinionated woman to being the mouthpiece for Kris Noble and his cronies. And if that included lying to us about the way things went down, she did that. Every time there was controversy the past couple of years she was right there defending the franchise and shutting down criticism. And sure, it's part of her job, but I would have loved it if instead of denying that BB edits footage to suit a story she came back with 'well, what do you expect? it's a TV show - of course it will be edited to look interesting.'

And it made it worse that she'd get so evangelical and nasty when her position was challenged, but I always got the feeling that underneath it all she wasn't convinced either.

(Sorry .... long comment. I didn't even think I cared anymore ...)

31 October 2007 at 7:20 am  
Blogger actonb said...

oh you care Chesty - your BB's bitch!

31 October 2007 at 7:26 am  
Blogger Jacob said...

Yeah, but wasn't it delicious to watch?!

I'm BB's bitch too. I said I wouldn't watch it this year but I totally did.

31 October 2007 at 10:56 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home