Wednesday 17 October 2007

Old-Skool TV: The LD on The OC

I mostly missed The OC the first time round - I saw bits and pieces and I followed the plot in a vague kind of way just through knowing people who were kind of obsessed with it. When I watched it, I really liked it, but life (or The Bill) kept getting in the way and I don't think I ever saw more than four or five episodes in a row.

Which is why I never really hated Marissa Cooper.

See, in four or five episode grabs she's not that bad. Sure, she's going 'through something', but you can kind of convince yourself that she's only going through something in this arc, and when you weren't watching, she was off being happy and content and well adjusted.

Plus - and I know opinion is divided on this one - I think she looks kind of amazing. She's not exactly pretty, but she's very very striking. Which I know isn't really a Marissa Cooper thing, but a Mischa Barton thing, but it's easier to look at people when they're not unattractive.

Then I went and bought the first season on DVD.

And while some of it is utterly awesome saturday morning viewing, I'm now nineteen-odd episodes in and I'm totally with all those TWoPers and bloggers and everyone else who was wanting Marissa Cooper dead way sooner than the end of Season Three.

Because, really, has she got any more Rich Girl With Problem cliches to play out?

That girl is seriously never happy, is she? She's like this big old hole of self-destructive behaviour and tantrums and dramaqueendom that would put Brenda Walsh to shame. I can just see them writing her charcter, pulling out every single 'troubled child' indicator in the world.

It's not just that she's self destructive. She's also kind of dumb. Because Oliver? So obviously a nutjob. So obviously. It couldn't have been any clearer if he'd been wearing the t-shirt and attached a big neon sign to his forehead. And, really - you met the guy in therapy, which should be your first indicator that maybe he wasn't the best person to get involved with.

That whole plotline made me want to throw things at the TV.

And getting trashed in Mexico? And shoplifting? Good times. And losing your virginity to a guy just because he's always shitty with you? Yeah. Smrt. Real smrt.

And bear in mind kids, that I'm not even through the first season, and that's not even counting all the bad things that have happened to Marissa Cooper that aren't anything to do with her being dumb or self-destructive, like being born to that adorable witch, Julie, or having her paretns split up and her dad be beaten up at catillion and investigated by the SEC and her little sister vanish without a trace or a word from anyone, including her parents.

And you know, I kinda get the writers predicament here. Mischa Barton is striking, but when she smiles she looks kind of ... odd. Very odd, in fact. So odd that I would advise against making her smile too often lest it put off the viewers. Pouting and confused and sad - she looks striking. Smiling - she looks clownish. So I guess they're working to her talents?

Whatever the reason for the endless onslaught of Poor Little Rich Girl, it's keeping The OC from being as awesome as it could be.

I'm loving the show, but from what I know of seasons 2 and 3, the Marissa thing is just going to get more and more annoying. Bring on her death, I say.

Crossposted here.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Jacob said...

I never watched an episode of the OC that I didn't automatically hate. I just never got that show. None of the characters were anything but shallow and boring, not to mention poorly acted and, as you say, cliched.

It made going to high school in 2005 extremely difficult for me, to say the least.

17 October 2007 at 9:22 am  
Blogger gigglewick said...

Peter Gallagher though....

17 October 2007 at 5:06 pm  
Blogger Jacob said...

That guy with the eyebrows?

If so: eewwww.

17 October 2007 at 9:13 pm  
Blogger killerrabbit said...

Loved the OC. It was totally 90210 for now. The Ryan and Marissa story arc was kind of lame, but it gets worse in Season 2 when Marissa becomes a lesbian for a couple of weeks. Totally hilarious.

17 October 2007 at 9:47 pm  
Blogger MissE said...

Jacob - I feel that way about Dawsons Creek. Dumb show. Dumb. Dumb show.

Gigglewick - There's something about him ... but for the most part, I have to go with Jacob on this one: Ewwww.

KR - Oh, I've seen those. Mostly because Channel Teen hyped the bejesus out of them and made me watch.

And I think for the most part the dialogue is better written than 90210, but that the story arcs get lamer faster. The first few seasons of 90210 were more episodic without these great big dramatic arcs - so you didn't roll your eyes at all the drama going on all the time.

And no Oliver. Although Emily Valentine is pretty close.

18 October 2007 at 6:21 am  
Blogger gigglewick said...

Yes, the guy with the eyebrows.

Okay. I probably watched too many Hal Hartley films in the 90s.

And i think he is mostly ew, but there is *something* about him Jacob....promise.

18 October 2007 at 1:30 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home