Monday 15 October 2007

I.

Am.

GOBSMACKED.

My Idol watching this year has had its ups and downs, for sure. When Sarah Lloyde didn't get through to the Top 12, that was disappointing. When Daniel Mifsud got served an entirely unjustified Touchdown, that was pretty hard to deal with, too. But one of the few constants that could be relied upon throughout the competition has been my absolute adoration of Ben McKenzie. I know that sounds a little pervy, but in a completely platonic way I sort of fell in love with him: the spotty, squeaky voiced teen, the little brother, the musical theatre enthusiast, the effeminate seventeen year old. And you know what? I think, in some perverse way, I identified with him.

So to see him gone, especially in such unfair and uncalled-for circumstances, says so much about how totally BACKWARD this year's Australian Idol is. I don't know if it's the Ricki-Lee Effect back in full force, but any competition in which Matt Corby and Ben McKenzie can possibly be judged worse than the likes of Marty Simpson, clearly something is very, very wrong.

I get that his performance last night was not great, and you can't seriously expect your favourites to be safe every week just because you like them, but this? This was not justified.

And Marty Simpson, despite not being in any real way accountable for the decision, needs to wipe that self satisfied smirk off his dirty, unwashed and possibly gangrenous face. That wave you are riding, dear Marty, is a wave of pity, and it will dump your sorry arse on a jagged rock at some stage.

In the past my comments about Marty Simpson have possessed a certain ironic air, even when scathing and downright vitriolic, but tonight I really feel almost personally insulted that he will be back again next week, and Ben won't. YES, it's just a TV show, but STILL.

Dicko may have lost some money on Centrebet (and from the look in his eyes I'm guessing it was a sizeable sum of money), but Australian Idol 2007 has lost so, so much more.

As a reminder, I'm going to post the video of Ben singing Mad World, arguably one of the best performances of the series. I defy Marty Simpson to do anything like it, even with his precious guitar and a bottle of Felix Felicis in hand.



Not happy Jan.




Afterthought: At least I have a new episode of Weeds to keep me in good spirits. Channel Nine, tonight at 10.40. Hint HINT.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger MissE said...

You know, I've been thinking about this - because we all know I can't just watch an RTV show - I have to become slightly obsessed, and I've come to a horrible realisation.

Marty is like a cockroach. No matter what we do, he's not going to die.

I suspect he's going to win the whole thing. And the whole nation is going to simultaneously 'WTF?' and wonder who voted for him.

But it won't matter. He'll still win.

Sigh.

16 October 2007 at 6:27 am  
Blogger meva said...

I was absolutely stunned last night.

What happened there, do you reckon? Surely all the little girls who vote would vote for Matt or Ben rather than Marty. Surely!

16 October 2007 at 8:02 am  
Blogger Jacob said...

Again, I have no idea. The cockroach theory works best for me, but if he does actually win I think I'm personally going to hijack a school bus and crash it into a lake, just so that I can protect as many innocent children from having to live in such an insane world.

16 October 2007 at 9:23 am  
Blogger meva said...

It is truly bizarre. How Marty didn't get laughed out of the auditions bamboozles me. To make it to the final 12, and then the final 6(!!) is beyond belief!

I wonder if there are any good conspiracy theories on the official forums. Dare I take a peek?

16 October 2007 at 9:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was absolutely shocked when i found out that he got eliminated. he was my fav performer! so unassumingly good. and i do believe that matt is really talented ( even though his hair really s***s me) so to find out that they were BOTH in the bottom 3 made my jaw drop

17 October 2007 at 5:19 pm  
Blogger Jacob said...

Meva - and they were saying that Hillsong was behind Ben Mckenzie. Fat load of good that did for him.

Alicia - Yeah, his hair was sort of... lesbionic.

17 October 2007 at 9:15 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home