Wednesday 26 September 2007

A televisual dilemma (yes, another one)

So I have been waiting, with some interest, to see Studio 60 on Sunset Strip.





It's the new(ish - remembering we live in the backwaters where Curb your Enthusiasm is considered late-night viewing) show by Aaron Sorkin, starring the excellent Bradley Whitford* and The West Wing via Friends star, Matthew Perry.

(here is the space where pictures would go,

if I could find any that weren't the size of postage stamps)

The show - which is based on the behind the scenes drama of a live-sketch comedy show -draws on influences like Network and the Larry Sanders Show. It seems promising enough, although Wikipedia and others are circulating rumours that its first season is also its last. I don't really care. Using Actonb's parlance, I'm a fangirl where Sorkin and Whitford are concerned**, and I'd probably watch it even if it was depressingly average.

read the rest





But now here is my dilemma.





CHANNEL NINE HAS THE GODDAMN RIGHTS.





Yes, you heard me. CHANNEL NINE.





Those dudes that, in their programming wisdom, screened The West Wing at an insane 10:30pm time-slot. Those dudes that seem to be programming endless hours of inane commercial re-runs and "whoops-a-daisy" style shows right now. Those dudes that, frankly, I do my darnedest to avoid.





I don't know, I'm a committed teev watcher and all that, but I'm thinking....maybe I should just buy the DVD?












* Whitford is also married to the awesome Jane Kaczmarek. I like to consider them some kind of alternative Brangelina.

* I even once considered watching 'Revenge of the Nerds III' when I heard Whitford was in it - don't worry, I'm not THAT tragic

6 Comments:

Blogger killerrabbit said...

Buy the DVD Gigglewick - and then lend it to me. I am refusing to watch commercial tele anymore as they annoy me with their silly political ads and moving the shows I like to stupid timeslots. Aside from SYTYCD of course.

27 September 2007 at 4:05 pm  
Blogger gigglewick said...

KR,

will do. I can't find it yet, but the moment I do, it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine.

There is something very satisfying about watching something on TV though, I can't explain it.

27 September 2007 at 4:52 pm  
Blogger killerrabbit said...

Well a DVD is watched via a TV? Or do you mean the ads and appointment viewing aspect?

28 September 2007 at 10:15 am  
Blogger gigglewick said...

Appointment viewing.

There's something about the urgency to sit down and watch a show that I enjoy.

Mr Fix and i have, on more than one occasion, watched a movie on television that we OWN on DVD.

What the hell is that all about?

28 September 2007 at 11:11 am  
Blogger actonb said...

You subconsciously like the ads?

28 September 2007 at 1:41 pm  
Blogger MissE said...

I think it's like the difference between listening to a CD and hearing your favourite song on the radio ... when something I love comes on TV, it's like, yeah, appointment viewing.

28 September 2007 at 6:29 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home