Tuesday 25 September 2007

So you think you can rely on The Help?

Because I sure as hell can't...

Last week I had to travel across Sydney for a stupid meeting which didn't even finish until10pm. And then there was a 2 hour trip home. There was getting lost, there was rain, there were tears, there were many many shouted curses at the Bloody RTA and their Bloody lack of signage...
Anyway... all this means that MrB forgot to record SYTYCD. He was watching the damn show with the Big Girls, but didn't think to record it until 8:30.

Don't worry. He has been thoroughly chastised and promises it won't happen again...

It turns out that MrB wasn't the only one stuffing up, as Ten managed to screw up their editing of two shows into one, keeping all the filler yet somehow neglecting to include one of the actual dances. Right...

read the rest


So I will have to rely on the opinions of the Big Girls:
" Yeah... they danced. It was good." And I assure you - that's verbatim.

On to the (truncated) show... and we come in just as Lacey and Kameron are being judged following their Broadway routine. I am immediately assaulted by competing thoughts:

Hee! Mia has a Mullet... Mia Mullet Michaels. Man I do love me some alliteration.
Damn! I missed Broadway? Lacey's wearing suspenders? Suspenders and jazz hands? Cool!
Grrr! MrB will pay for this...

Mia appears to be just as much a fan of alliteration as me, rambling on and on about sexiness and spiciness and sassiness ans other nessesss. With a random 'ewww' thrown in for good measure. I gather the suspenders just weren;t sexy enough for her.... says the lady with the mullet? I mean Kameron's wearing a wife-beater, surely that's the epitome of sexy? I fear I will never understand the mind of a contemporary dancer...

Mary decides that the routine has made 'Danger' their middle names... What kind of Broadway dance was this? I'm a little afraid to approach youtube now... although I have been inspired by Danger!

Oh! And look! Lacey's Dad is in the audience with his 3 foot long neon sign... Now that's dangerous...

Ad break, and I'm so tired that the ANZ Falcon ad has me in fits of giggles. Hee! falcon!

I'm sorry? But WTF is Cat wearing tonight??? A giant tablecloth? Complete with fringeing? Oh Cat, you know I love you, but seriously, what is it with the increasingly random fits of fancy fashion-wise?

Yay! I finally get to actually watch a dance routine, and double-yay because it's Anya and Danny. Anya apparently started ballroom at 10 years old, because that's kinda the done thing in Russia these days - simply everyone is doing it dahling... Although she was just there for the sparkly dresses - this is a girl after my own heart! Danny started dancing to keep out of trouble - the same hard luck story we've heard many times before, and one that fails to hold my interest because of the severe lack of sparkly dress references.
They'll be dancing the Viennese Waltz which, as everyone knows, is simply a faster version of the slow waltz... got that? But with extra added centrif- ugal forces. Yes. Centriffffigal forces. huh? Ohhhh centri-fugal forces. Right. Because dancing is just like aerobatics dontcha know?
It's actually a gorgeous dance, despite the unfortunate salmon-hued dress Anya is forced to wear. Beautiful lines, lovely travelling (hee! Get me being all technical!) perfect partnering. I'm impressed. It's so damn good in fact that we're treated to a patented Mary Scream, and I kinda want to join in...

It's going to be a hard act to follow for poor Shauna and Jimmy, who are going to be doing a Hip Hop routine. They're both contemp dancers, been dancing since they were knee-high to a grass hopper etc etc. But they're enthusiastic and they're attempting some Stepping, which seems to me just to be poor man's Tap Dog. MrB kindly informs me that it's like the eponymous Singing In The Rain dance, and it's probably an analogy that Dave Scott the famous hiphop choreographer wouldn't be too happy with... It's not very ghetto is it?
They throw themselves into it, and like Nigel says, using the 'F' word - it's tonnes of Fun! Although I think most of the fun comes from the coordinating SYTYCD trackies... is it sad that I kinda want a pair? Especially if they are as performance-enhancing as they appear.

And... that's it. Huh? Two dances? I get to see two measley dances? Not Happy Jan!

Results Show:

Cat seems to have listened to everyone's comments about her stalking around the floor like Big Bird and decided that if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, and tonight is dressed entirely in canary yellow. And it's very, um ... yellow. And also, just ever so slightly retina-burning.

She's also decided to adopt Big Bird's mildly patronising tone, telling the audience that we 'need a bit of hush now...' before confronting the first batch of lab rats with her Envelopes of Doom.

Neil and Lauren who danced a Hip Hop routine in a tutu and basketball boots are inexplicably safe.
Pasha and Jessi who did some bizarre bird-related modern dance obviously didn't manage to garner the ornithologist vote and are (dum dum dummmm) in the Bottom Three.
Jaimie and Hok, despite having danced a dodgy samba are safe. Because they're just so totally gorgeous, obvs. Everyone can see that...

Kameron, Lacey and her dangerous suspenders are safe, as are Anya, Danny, Sabra and Dominic. Less safe is more Cat who is pounced on by the pint-sized Dom and then Sabra, leaving the poor girl all flushed and in need of a fan...

Oooh... suspense... three couples left, only one of whom will be safe, gee whizz, who can it be?

Oh! It would be Sara and Jesús with their apparently non-existent pasa doble. STUPID CHANNEL TEN! You completely stuff up Torchwood, and now you're playing God with SYTYCD? Oooh *shakes fist ineffectually*

Meaning of course that it's Shauna, Jimmy, Cedric and Faina joining Jessi and Pasha in the Dance For Their Lives...

The judges have their say, and their say seems to consist mainly of a lecture to Cedric - that his dance style is unique, but that they don't think the competition is right for him - blah blah, he doesn't like doing other people's choreography, he's a crap partner, but he's still 'unique'. But that he's not to take all this pointed criticism personally. No....

And on to the solos - first up is Jessi who attempts a blatant Demetri rip-off by constantly lifting her dress up. But she ain't Demetri, she's just a very naughty girl. Who knows exactly what she's doing.

Pasha bizarrely reminds me of Jensen Ackles, however that may be a combination of the jeans, the hard rock and my own fervant imagination.


Shauna absolutely blitzes it, with this awesome spinny piruette-y thing while holding her leg up next to her head. Sounds bizarre but was pretty amazing. She apparently left her heart up on the stage in the process though, so I'd suggest that Kids! Don't try this at home!

Jimmy, um, dances?

Whereas Faina does this cute little jivey thing in a 50s dress and a headscarf. When asked what she thinks when she's waiting backstage for her chance to 'Dance for her life' she answers "well, I just think 'I'm gong to dance now' *girly giggle*"

hmmm....

'Unique' Cedric does his thang and apparently he's at peace. Harumph.

The judges are unanimous regarding the girls:
They think that Jessi's solo sucked, but that she gets to stay. Shauna's solo rocked and she gets to stay. Leaving poor Faina, who's 'unique' partner let her down, even though her dancing was very very good indeed and so now she's going home.

That's sucks. That makes me cranky.

The judges however are not unanimous about the guys:
Pasha's awesome rocking solo wasn't up to scratch, which just shows that the judges have NO imagination. Cedric's solo was, well, unique... prompting another little lecture from Nigel, but to the effect that they're going to give him Another Frigging Chance, because he's just so frigging UNIQUE. So basically Jimmy's going home without a word being said about him. And then he starts crying... awww blesss. You can so tell he's a contemp dancer. He'll probably go choreo a dance all about having his heart broken by a dancer of peculiar uniqueness. It will involve lots of jumping and throwing oneself to the floor. Heartbrokenly.

In short: Cranky to start off with and cranky to end. Not a very satisfying STYTCD experience at all. Sorry...
But I promise I'm in charge of the remote this Thursday... will you forgive me???

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger MissE said...

I'm kind of surprised by the Faina thing ... but then kind of not. Don't they tend to like the ones that are 'learning' etc?

26 September 2007 at 6:29 pm  
Blogger Tassiegal said...

I'm glad it wasnt me going insane then about one of the dances missing.

27 September 2007 at 10:51 pm  
Blogger killerrabbit said...

I have been racking my brain for a week to try to remember who Jimmy was. When I watched it last night I was trying to spot who was missing and couldn't. I think that they probably made a good call.

I don't watch the results shows now so that your recap can surprise me. So I vote that Cedric goes home and I can't pick a girl. Maybe Jessi?

28 September 2007 at 10:21 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought i missed something cause i tuned in late but obviously not. supid channel 10. and why do they keep putting the group dance at the start of the show.

7 October 2007 at 6:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home