Sunday 18 November 2007

Australian Idol: Mattalie


I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the official Idol winner's song is the worst song ever written. Actually, scratch "out on a limb" and replace it instead with "and say something glaringly obvious". That song.... Matt was totally right in calling it crap. He didn't say it in so many words, being polite and non-threatening and all those things that we all love him for, but we all agree with him anyway. I love the veiled sarcasm inherent in this statement:

"It was written by a woman in America. Apparently, she's a very established writer. She's written stuff for the Backstreet Boys and Nick Lachey, so that sort of explains it straight away and what it's like."

Also, while I'm bitching: Shut up Dicko. Shouldn't you be grovelling? It's so unfair to call Nat and Matt boring. Idol packages them and puts them in pigeon holes so square you'd be struggling to find mathematicians who could recreate the perfect ninety degree angles of said pigeon holes.

And what? Past year's Idol finalists were so interesting?



Cough, and double cough.

Anyway, I quite enjoyed tonight's episode. I can't exactly put my finger on what I loved about it. Oh, wait, yes I can, it was the bit that showed Matt's earlier years, busking away and singing in choirs and going on an eighteen month tour around Australia at the age of fourteen. Jesus. I also learned tonight that Matt does indeed have parents, they've just been a bit camera shy or whatever all year. Frankly I would have been happier just to believe that he burst forth from a magical tree in some enchanted forest somewhere to bring happy tunes and funny dresses disguised as shirts to the world. Interesting to note that he's always had those really defined eyebrows and the "sluggish" lips, as Chesty calls them.

Natalie's video package bizzo was also pretty revealing. (Hm... package.... revealing.... I'm getting so depraved in my old age, huh). She was in a few of those funny ABC-Kids shows in the nineties, and she actually funded her own album and went to America or something. Pity nothing came of it, which I guess led her to Australian Idol. I suppose it IS kind of tacky to actually pay to release your own album (just like it's tacky for a model to pay a fashion label to feature them in a show).

The performances of the Idol winner's song were both pretty crap, but I think I liked Nat's version just a wee bit better. That's not saying much by the way. That song..... it's not even good in an ironic sense. What's with the title? I know it's an Idol institution to have a lame song with a lame title, incorporating souls, angels, listening with one's heart (as if that were physiologically possible, song writers), going on a journey and having the night of one's life. 'Here I Am' is a lame title, so ... I guess it compliments the tuneless and utterly forgettable song poifectly.

The other performances were a drag, really. I never even HEARD of "High and Dry" and "Running Up That Hill".

Timbaland? Wolfmother? Bleh.

So, that's it, until the Opera House finale next week - which I always enjoy. Who will win? I'm happy with either of them for the win, frankly. Last year (and, in fact, every year) I've hated one of the finalists and loved the other, but this year I'm not displeased that it's Matt and Nat. It's kind of like this year's Big Brother if you think about it. It was a crap year for Big Brother, but the final two were actually decent, I remarked at the time that I wouldn't have minded which one of them took it out and I guess the feeling is much the same with Idol 2007.

Obviously though my favourite to win is Matt Corby (der, whose isn't?) but I wouldn't totally disregard the possibility of an upset. Which wouldn't be all that bad for either contestant, as Matt seems to have gone off Idol in the last few months, and it would be great to see him build a career on his own merits.

But seriously, if you're going to vote, vote for Matt.

PS. Goddam that song was shit.

Uggghh, totally.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger actonb said...

You haven't heard of 'Running Up That Hill'???

Young people today... rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb.

18 November 2007 at 10:41 pm  
Blogger Jacob said...

Shaddap okay.

18 November 2007 at 10:46 pm  
Blogger MissE said...

I hadn't heard the timberland one ... so I am old.

And - ok. I have a LOT to say, most of which you folk are probably not on board with but I'm mad as hell and I need to share.

First off ... those fucking journey vidoes. Biased much? Matt's had it tough! Matt got bullied at school because he liked singing! Meanwhile, Natt's had it easy ... she even funded her own EP AND they gave her a trip to New York, so it's not like she needs this ...

Too bad for the producer monkeys that the only thing I thought when I saw Matt's journey video is 'wow! He's so committed to music he gave it up because a few kids were teasing him about it .... right'.

They could at least TRY to make it look like it's a fair race.

And ... Matt! What, did he think he was auditioning for Australia's most credible performing artist and accidentally stuble into the wrong room and end up on Idol? Has he never seen the show? Did the fact that the british version is called Pop Idol not tip him off? Has he never heard Maybe Tonight, Angels Brought Me Here or that ridiculous Casey Donovan one? Or did he seriously think that the producers would be so blown away by his talent and left-field song choices that they would throw way the manual and let him release whatever deep and soulful and boring pap he wanted to, while at the same time removing the creative control clause from his contract?

It seems to me that this kid wants to be a credible indie artist but doesn't actually want to do the work to make it that way. And he's not even smart enough to do what the other 'credible' Idol hopefuls have done in the past and keep his mouth shut, enjoy the ride and come out at the end with a buttload of exposure he wouldn't have otherwise had.

He's either really stupid and I should feel sorry for him, or ... I can't think of anything to finih that. He's really stupid. And you know what - it may be Australian Idol, but he's up there in place of a thousand someones who truly want it and everything that comes with it.

At least this makes next week easier. I'd be thrilled if Natalie wins it, but if Matt takes it out ... which seems to be the last thing he wants ... I have to say a small, nasty side of me will enjoy the fact that he has to release a crap single and a crapper album and that he's never going to live this down.

19 November 2007 at 7:19 am  
Blogger Jacob said...

But... he's pretty!

I know where you're coming from Chesty. It infuriates the hell out of me too that people go on Idol and then whinge about being forced to sing pop and only be a caricature of the real 'artist' that they want to be.

I disagree that he's stupid or lazy though. Considering his age, he's pretty mature and well spoken and he knows the extent of his talent, which is refreshing on a show like Idol. Taking the Idol route might be a bit lazy, because anybody could tell you that it takes much more than that to be successful in any long term capacity, BUT I think he took it because he thought it would lead to massive exposure as you say. Maybe he didn't think he would get very far, but I think it only really dawned on him that he would be forever attached to the Idol tag a little bit too late. In some respects that is kinda stupid, but you can't blame the boy for having reservations. And, like him or not, he IS the more talented of the two, and indeed the entire competition this year.

19 November 2007 at 10:47 am  
Blogger Jacob said...

Oh yeah, I agree with you about the biased video clip thingies. Matt getting bullied? Psshya, not likely.

19 November 2007 at 10:54 am  
Blogger gigglewick said...

BUT DUDES WHAT THE HELL WAS HE WEARING?

AGAIN?

CAN WE DESIST WITH THE KINDER-PATTERNED PRINCESS DI BLOUSES????

PLEASE.......!!!!!!!!!

19 November 2007 at 1:26 pm  
Blogger MissE said...

Ok, not stupid or lazy (much) maybe, but definitely proof that the Idol minimum age should be 18.

I don't think TPTB are completely blameless in this, because they do encourage these kids to see Idol as more than it is - which is a reality TV show sponsored in part by a record company who wants to make money.

These kids are being groomed to think they're 'artists' and somehow going through the Idol thing should earn them respect.

The thing is that the only thing doing well on idol actually proves is that you can hold a tune and have enough charisma to gather votes. Some of these kids are great 'performers' - they 'perform' other peoples songs really well - but let's not start using words like 'artist' and 'musician' until they've actually given us reason to.

Now, Matt comes out and slams the winners single and is annoyed that the record company has creative control of the album. But - of course they do. No record company anywhere is going to give a seventeen year old kid creative control of an album based on seeing him sing some covers on TV - which is all he's proven he can do. Maybe he is an awesome songwriter who can play a hundred instruments, but you can't just take that on faith.

And as for the winners single, has he written better? Probably - given that I could write better and I can't write songs for shit - but no-one's asked me and, let's face it, the record company execs who watch the show have about as much reason to trust me to do it as they would to trust him.

And let's not forget - Sony BMG isn't a charity. It's a business and anyone who thinks they don't care if they make money on the Idol releases is weeeeeell naive. Of course they're going to control the product to ensure that happens.

Matt's just starting to realise that in the real world, Idol proves shit.

I do kinda feel sorry for him, but this isn't a new thing - it was this way for four years and he was pretty naive to think it would change much this year.

(Sorry, i think about this waaaay too much).

20 November 2007 at 7:07 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home