Thursday 22 November 2007

The Long Way Round - boys on bikes



Okay, okay, I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking: “Doesn’t gigglewick watch anything except documentaries? And what the hell happened to her promises to post about The Abbey?”*

Anyway, I don’t like motorbikes that much. My dad had a bad motorcycle accident (hit a poddy calf) when I was about eight and I’ve not really liked them since. Mr Fix also had a train rip the numberplate off the back of his motorbike once. I’m not of the belief that they’re generally good things, although I know there are those who disagree.

However, I was quite intrigued by the idea of The Long Way Round, which may have been partially influenced by a re-watching of the Phantom Menace recently. Or possibly my unwillingness to get off the couch post-Top Gear.

The Long Way Round is a documentary about Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman’s motorcycle trip to, as Split Enz termed it, circumnavigate the globe. Each of them have a handicam, mic-ed up helmets and a third rider, Paolo, is their official cameraman.

The home-movie tone is surprisingly effective and doesn’t grate too much, which is surprising considering how much “grainy realism” we’ve come to expect from reality TV.

As interesting as the landscape they are covering is the insight into the human condition. While both agreed at the outset that it was a dream to undertake this trip, they are nevertheless refreshingly honest about how they are feeling. In this week’s episode, there is a deconstruction of Ewan McGregor’s mental state by both McGregor and Boorman, and it’s clear that they have the kind of relationship where complete honesty is the order of the day. I can’t imagine Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie having similar conversations.

Verdict: This is available on DVD and would make an excellent alternative to whatever dross they program over summer. In fact, the ABC online shop assures me there’s a new series coming soon – Scotland to the bottom tip of Africa.


* Simple answer to this one: I was too tired to commit to entire episodes. I could do an “impressions” post, but it wouldn’t be particularly rigorous.

3 Comments:

Blogger actonb said...

How do you feel about poddy calves?

23 November 2007 at 4:28 pm  
Blogger MissE said...

I KNOW this show ... I just didn't know what it was called until now.

And, you know, I'd watch it. Except that after seeing bits and pieces of Race to Dakar earlier this year I am of the opinion that Charlie Boorman is a whingy shithead.

He volunteers, with not a lot of experience, to race in the Dakar rally - a bike race in which people DIE, regularly, including some very very experienced people - and then he whinges when it gets a bit hard.

MrL and I spent a lot of time during that show yelling 'shut up, Boorman' at the screen during that show.

And sadly the fact that Ewan McGregor used to be kinda spunky is not enough to make up for the boorman.

23 November 2007 at 6:30 pm  
Blogger gigglewick said...

poddy calves I like okay, although farmers who let them wander out onto the road so that my dad hits one when it appears over a rise I'm not so hot on.

23 November 2007 at 8:25 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home