Tuesday 11 September 2007

When Good TV Goes Bad

They call it jumping the shark: the moment the writers of a TV show run out of ideas, named after that infamous episode of Happy Days where the Fonze does just that - jumps over a shark on waterskis. It was the end for Happy days and the saying has been around ever since.

Traditionally shark-jumping involved the addition of a new character - in a sitcom almost always a cute child or an amusing neighbour (fat kid from Hey Dad, anyone?) - but these days shark jumping seems to be more about the writers having total amnesia and giving all their characters the stupidest, most contrived plotlines ever, especially in the soap-drama genre.

It's kind of fun trying to spot the shark jump in any used-to-be-good-now-bad TV show. The Simpsons jumped the shark quite literally when Homer recreated that scene from Happy Days - but I believe I may be alone in thinking that it hasn't jumped the shark for reals yet. The OC jumped the shark when Marissa became a lesbian for three episodes. SVU jumped the shark when Olivia got a rapist for a brother. E-Street jumped the shark with Mr Bad.

What's more interesting, though, is when there is no shark-jump, no contrived lesbian plotline, no little green alien. When a show is still exactly the same as it was on the day it aired, and yet, it goes from being must-watch to shoot-me-now.

Take Spicks and Specks. Man, I loved Spicks and Specks when it first started. I loved it so much I taped House to watch it - because as adorable as House was, Spicks and Specks had me in stitches. I loved Adam. I loved Myf. I loved Alan. I loved the guests. I loved the kooky theme music. I probably would have ranked it as one of my top five TV shows - that's how much love their was.

And then one day ... the jokes weren't really that funny.

And someone was singing from the stupid 1975 Torana Owners Manual again.

And it occured to me that Alan's chin was the scariest thing I'd ever seen on the TV and Myf's voice made me want to take a power drill to my ears.

It was the strangest thing but I was overcome with loathing for this stupid show, and I flicked over to House.

I tried again a few times to watch it, and every time the hate grew more pronounced. It was funny - because the show itself had not really changed - they were still making jokes and obviously they were kind of funny because the audience was laughing, and there was still trivia - but the whole thing just really annoyed me. Kind of like when you're eating dinner with the man you've been married with for twenty years and suddenly you notice that the sound of his chewing is actually rather revolting, and you have to fight the urge to leap over the table and puncture his oesophagus with your butter knife, I suppose. Except it's television.

And it's not just Spicks and Specks. I feel the same way about that sacred cow of Australian comedy: Thank God You're Here, except that I only moderately liked it to begin with. Still, now there's hate. Pokey-eyes-out hate.

So the question for the square eyes is this: what makes good TV go bad? And once it's gone bad - is there any way back?

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger gigglewick said...

The best they can hope for is some kind of arena spectacular style reminiscence in twenty years' time.

Hang on a minute....

11 September 2007 at 9:02 am  
Blogger Jacob said...

Really? Spicks and Specks is one of the shows that me and my grandma watch compulsively and talk about afterwards - I still love Myf and the gang after two (three?) seasons.

But yeah - some moments I wonder whether it's all just a bit too orchestrated. Do you remember that bit where Adam Hills plucked a bunch of people from the audience to form a boy band? That wasn't funny at all.

Best moment of Spicks and Specks has to be Tim Minchin singing "Hills Are Made For Climbing" to Adam.

11 September 2007 at 1:19 pm  
Blogger meva said...

I still love Spick and Specks. I just hate Alan Brough. He used to be funny, but now he just has to win. Really has to win. While Myf's table always look like they're having fun, Alan's table is so seriously competitive it's ridiculous. Get rid of him, I say, and the program would still be great.

And speaking of good-bad-good again, surely the prime example is Dr Who. The Christopher Eccleston series was fantastic, then David Tennant came along and that series was shite. Now it's bloody brilliant again! I don't know what happened, but something sure as hell did.

11 September 2007 at 5:48 pm  
Blogger Mars said...

dear squarearse blog contributors,

i am really liking this new blog.
keep up the good work.

affectionately,
mars

11 September 2007 at 9:43 pm  
Blogger MissE said...

Gigglewick - They really are cashing in on the popularity while they can, aren't they?

Jacob - I can't hate on anyone else loveing s&s, because when I loved it I was the same, and it's not like it changed, so much as I did.

We grew apart. No-one is to blame.

Meva - I didn't watch Eccelstein Who, but I've always like Tennant Who. I think it's because I have a soft spot for the nuurds.

Mars - We'll try. Thanks!

12 September 2007 at 7:33 am  
Blogger PetStarr said...

Interesting... Raoul Duke has mused on a similar topic. Perhaps S&S has indeed jumped the shark.

http://hopesofanation.blogspot.com/2007/08/spicks-and-chunks.html

12 September 2007 at 9:18 am  
Blogger barilski said...

Hi there. Was really flattered you liked my post so much! I very much take it as a compliment. For more original hilarity, pop by http//hopesofanation.blogspot.com some time. cheers.

12 September 2007 at 9:35 am  
Blogger MissE said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12 September 2007 at 6:23 pm  
Blogger actonb said...

Well with two bloggers hitting the off button, poor old Adam Hills is going to be looking for a new job soon!

Lucky he's the funniest guy I've ever seen (at the Enmore this year) and a Shire Boy to boot!

I still think it's a pleasant way to fritter some time, but y'know, I'm old and boring...

12 September 2007 at 7:10 pm  
Blogger Mars said...

you know, i thought adam hills had a peg leg... but then i just thought that was some sort of joke.

i thought that about heather mills too.

guess i shouldn't be such a doubting thomas and remember that there ARE actual people out there who don't have two legs.

a lesson well learned.

12 September 2007 at 8:18 pm  
Blogger MissE said...

Petstarr - I wouldn't say it's jumped the shark so much that it's not changed. And sometimes a lack of change can be a bad thing ...

Raoul - Wow, that's one huge ego you've got there. Do you have trouble getting that head through doorways?

Really, two men can come up with calculus at the same time and unbeknownst to each other, and yet it's never occured to you that two bloggers might compose posts on vaguely similar themes without one being a copy of the other?

For the record: I've never read your blog. Your guest posts on Bland Canyon were so bad I was scared away for life.

AB - AB and Aam, sitting in a tree yadda yadda yadda.

Mars - oh, he's missing a foot. He tells that story ALL the time. It's one of the things I started to hate about s&s.

13 September 2007 at 6:37 am  
Blogger gigglewick said...

I don't really HATE Spicks and Specks, as much as I am bored of it.

Except I do hate the Substitute thing, so much that I have to change the channel, no matter who is singing.

13 September 2007 at 8:59 am  
Blogger PetStarr said...

I totally agree chesty - the format is the same every week and it's just gotten boring. Plus they do too many chat segments in between now, so that everyone gets their 10 minutes of comedy glory. Boring.

However - I did manage to score an advance copy of the new Spicks and Specks DVD game and it's really rather fun. Better than the show actually, cos you don't have to put up with Adam Hills constantly showing off that he can dance with a wooden leg...

13 September 2007 at 10:59 am  
Blogger barilski said...

Oh don't take me seriously Chesty. Truth is I didn't really mind at all that we'd written about the same topic. My next post will be dedicated to how to get my fat head through the door using some handy calculus equations.

13 September 2007 at 11:10 am  
Blogger actonb said...

Awww....

Is that the sound of a virutal group hug?

Praise the Lord!

Now who's going to cook me a replacement cauliflower cheese of suitable awesomeness? Hmmm????

13 September 2007 at 11:39 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home